Saturday, January 12, 2013

Cookie

Keeping with the Maryland dessert theme, there is another sweet, fudgey treat that is unique to the state: Berger cookies. I have only tried them twice, and the reason is because they are EXTREMELY rich. The first time I tried them, they were from a guest treat bag in my hotel room when I attended a friend's Baltimore wedding. I literally got a toothache after eating 4 bites of the cookie. They consist of a relatively innocuous, crumbly butter cookie featuring an extra, super thick, rich chocolate ganache layer.


This article from the Washington Post explores the lore and lure of the iconic Baltimore cookie treat.

Conveniently, Berger cookies can be found in grocery stores all over the DC/MD/VA, or "DMV" or "DC Metro" area. There is no other cookie like 'em. Try them if you're feeling decadent, or if you want to get a real taste of Baltimore cuisine.

No comments:

Post a Comment