Saturday, January 12, 2013

Double

Last Sunday, January 6, MD hosted two NFL playoff games - on the same day! The Baltimore Ravens played (and beat) the Indianapolis Colts, and the Washington Redskins played (and lost to) the Seattle Seahawks. My family loves the Ravens, so this is great news for us. The Ravens now face the Denver Broncos this afternoon, this time in Colorado. I'll be wearing my new Ravens jersey (Ray Rice, #27) and cheering for my new home team!

MD is part of an elite club of only one of 8 US states to host two NFL teams. MD hosts the Ravens and the Redskins, with the Ravens playing at M&T Stadium in Baltimore and with the Redskins (I'm not a fan of the name at all, it refers to Native Americans in a crude way) playing at FedEx Field in Landover, MD. Yes, pretty much all American stadiums are named after companies these days. The other states with two NFL teams are: New Jersey, Ohio, Texas, Florida, Pennsylvania, California, and Missouri.

According to my brief research, MD has the lowest population of these two-teamed states, which helps me understand why a lot of people's common perception of MD is that it's the state of crabs and football. Sounds like a fun state to me! (And it is).

On a side note, I can't believe that Missouri has more residents than Maryland. The only Missourians I know are my younger brother's in-laws, but they have all moved to California now.

No comments:

Post a Comment